National Sandwich Month is Coming!

monster sammichI just learned that National Sandwich Month exists! Yay! (I mean, of course it does, because sammiches. Duh.) It’s like providence or something because when I found out it exists I just assumed I’d already missed it this year. And I did, in fact, miss National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month which, according to Gone-ta-pott.com (Your Holiday Directory) is always in April. (Imagine anyone thinking otherwise.) July, however, is National Sandwich Generation Month, dedicated to people who provide care for both children and aged parents, which is nice, because that’s a lot of work. And National Sandwich Day isn’t until November! So, I didn’t miss those, which is great, but I haven’t told you the best thing of all which is that August is National Sandwich Month! Apparently, it’s always in August, but I never had reason to know that before now. I did, however, have reason to know about National Margarita Day and Cheese Weasel Day. I’ll let you make whatever judgements you will about that.

So, in honor of what we’ll refer to here at MMAS as National SAMMICH Month, I’ll be scouring the Internets for fascinating sandwich/sammich related stuff to tell you and show you. We’ll talk about the origins of the sandwich, and of the sammich, and of the title of this website. We’ll share our favorite sammich recipes! We’ll look at sandwich art (like the scary sammich monster above!)–because if you didn’t know sandwich art existed, you need to. It’s art. And sammiches. Duh.

Just ten days until August 1! Isn’t this exciting? I even added a countdown thingy just to the right, there. If you run across any sammich-related links I ought to know about ahead of time, please post them here. Ten days! I have work to do, people!

1. kyorlin

I recently learned that each state in USA has its own sandwich: http://www.good.is/post/sandwiches-of-america-a-50-state-tour-of-good-sammies/

Maybe that could be implemented into the sandwich-month?
    My first thought was to try every single one from Alabama to Wyoming. But I don’t think I can get hold of buffalo meat here in Sweden. =)

July 30, 2012 at 12:23 am

• Wow, that’s great–I had no idea! We’ll definitely have to cover that in August. Thanks, K!

I don’t eat meat, so I’d have to use faux-buffalo meat, anyway. :D

July 30, 2012 at 1:50 am

2. This reminded me of some dumb Facebook group called, “Did you know woman spelled backwards is sadnwich?” oh sammiches.

July 23, 2012 at 6:49 pm

• Sammiches: We’re takin’ ’em back.

July 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

3. ahuntre

Sammiches made me what I am today. These days and months matter. Oh yes.

July 23, 2012 at 3:38 am

• Wow, that’s like a sammich-ku. :)

July 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm

4. Oh man! My birthday is on August 2nd…maybe instead of going out to eat I should just make a bunch of delicious sammiches! I like this plan.

Also, that picture is adorable. ADORABLE, I SAY. <3

July 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

• How lucky you are to be born during National Sammich Month! I was born in December, so my month is all about Christmas, which is ok, but SAMMICHES.

And I love the sandwich monster! He might be my favorite of all the sammich art I’ve seen so far, but there’s a lot of great stuff out there. Whole websites devoted to it. Lucky us! :D

July 22, 2012 at 10:24 pm

• Oh nice, you and my mom were both born in December. :) She is also a fan of a good sammich. Maybe she actually planned to have me in the month of August for that reason? *gasp* It’s a delicious, delicious conspiracy!

I absolutely love seeing sandwich art. And also bento boxes. Those Japanese moms are crazy talented. Me, I’m just happy if whatever I make tastes good and doesn’t explode in my face when I try to eat it. ^_^

July 22, 2012 at 10:47 pm