Sammich Challenge!

Sammich of the Gods?

19 days into National Sammich Month and, well, I’ve been lax. However, my brother #3 (I have seven!) has proposed a sammich challenge, secure in the belief that he will win. This is your chance, my friends, to truly participate in this national holiday month the way you’ve always dreamed of.

I will be forming a panel of judges (omnivorous ones!) who love to eat sammiches. Your job is to submit the Winning Sammich Recipe! The judges will recreate your sammich from your recipe and eat it, grading on the criteria below. Winners will receive Fabulous Prizes (to be announced)!

Sammiches will be judged on the following criteria:

• Overall Deliciousness
  • Creativity
  • Health vs. Decadence (pick one and go all the way!)
  • ??? (Is this a mystery criterion? Or just one I haven’t thought of yet? It’s anyone’s guess!)

Are you ready? Deadline to submit your sammich recipe is one week from today: August 26. That will give our judges a solid week to make/eat your sammiches before NSM ends. We’ll announced the winners on Friday, August 31!

Let the sammiching commence!

1. Okay, here it is: my entry into the 2012 Sammich challenge!

Brie and Cranberry Sauce Baguette

The Sandwich

Baguette or portion thereof, about 6″ per serving, sliced lengthwise

French Brie, generously sliced (slightly firm and unripened is best for this sandwich)

Fresh Arugula (Rocket)

Balsamic Cranberry Sauce (recipe below)

Drizzle one half of the sliced baguette with a little bit of the Balsamic Cranberry Sauce

Add a generous layer of arugula.

Add a layer of brie slices.

Spoon some more sauce over the cheese. Cover with the rest of the baguette portion or serve open-faced.

Make Balsamic Cranberry Sauce ahead. This recipe makes about 1 2/2 cups.

1 bag fresh or frozen cranberries (about 12 oz. These are available fresh in fall and winter, frozen the rest of the year)

1 cup water

1 cup raw turbinado sugar

1/8 tsp Salt

1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar (Very expensive varieties not necessary here)

Wash the cranberries and pick out any hulls and undesirables.

Put all sauce ingredients together in a medium-sized saucepan. Heat at medium-high. When ingredients begin to boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for about 20 minutes, at which time the cranberries will have burst, and a sauce will have formed. Allow to cool, and chill if desired.

Or try it hot on lots and lots of foods, including vanilla ice cream!

August 26, 2012 at 7:41 pm

• That sounds amazing!

August 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

• EHRMAGERD.

August 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

• I meant to give it a fancier name: Brie Baguette Balsamico. I forgot to change it before I posted. It’s still delicious.

August 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm

2. I was inspired by juliebrowning18’s idea of grilled peanut butter and cheese. And all the talk of PB&J. So I made a grilled peanut butter and American cheese sandwich with a light schmear of Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion Jam (a kitchen staple regardless). Two slices of cheese on one side with the peanut butter, one slice of cheese on the other with the jam, so the PB&J were in the middle when I put the sandwich together. Grilled on whole wheat bread. You know I’m not much of a cook, but this I could pull off. It was incredibly good if I do say so myself!

August 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm

• Wow! You are so brave–you’re going to shame me into trying this grilled PBC thing.

August 23, 2012 at 6:01 pm

3. Good golly, Brother #3–is that a sandwich or a career? I’ll take one of the veggie version, thank you.

August 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm

4. The below has been constructed in a variety of ways -simply “what’s in the fridge” has been the framework for the majority of this concoction. Provided that, many of these parts are totally interchangeable, optional, or even skipable. But not here! *

It’s two ingredients away from a veggie feast all by its self. I sub meat products with roasted or grilled eggplant (rubbed in herb & nuts sauté) all the time. Coconut bacon is the best thing you’ve never made. So do it! **

Required tools:
    • Sandwich press and/or toaster oven (roasting/pressing stages)
    • Spatula/wooden spoons (sauté herbs)
    • Food processor or knives (julienne)
    • Cookie sheet (prosciutto & nuts!)
    • Pepper mill (turkey)

Two preparation skillets;
    1. 1 tsp peanut oil
    2. 1 tsp olive oil
    Or quantity required to scale servings

Fresh fixings:

• Sweet basil
    Prep: Flash fry whole basil leaves in 1. Skillet, drain carefully, keep at room temp

• Walnut meat
    Prep: Roast on cookie sheet

• Rosemary
    • Thyme
    Prep: mince herbs, and crush roasted walnuts, then slow sauté together in 2. skillet

• Bunches of sun dried tomatoes
    • One Tigeralla tomate
    Prep: Julienne in vertical strips with food processor or by knife, chill em out

• 1 compressed cup mixed field greens with sliced strawberries
    Prep: Toss in prep bowl with strawberries, keep cool

• Alfalfa sprouts
    Prep : Wash and chill (or spread out in sandwich shape then freeze for all I care)

• Fromager d’ Affinois (It’s brie people)
    Prep : Top with sautéed nuts and herbs and roast in small ramekin just until it separates to infuse brie with sautéed herbs

• Jazz apple sliced into 8ths
    Prep: Sauté in 2. Skillet with 1tsp brown sugar and 1tsp balsamic, until reduced, let cool to firm

Bread prep:
    • ½ avocat (French for lawyer… and Avocado)
    Prep: Quartered and fanned diagonally to retain hold

• Hot dijon, not sweet or stone ground, or honey – hot French dijon damnit!

Meats:
    • Turkey breast
    Prep : Shaved from the deli

• 1-2 slices of thin proscuitto
    Prep : broiled on cookie sheet until crispy and drained (you’ll note like the basil, there’s a finite limit for contact with heat, but the crispier the better for both.)

//Begin sandwich alchemy bonding matrix:

A. With one (or many) 6-10” rectangle shaped french bread roll, cut longwise just so back edge remains intact
    i. Coat lightly in olive oil and red wine (Californian of course) – and brown in toaster overn
    B. Spread one half liberally in Dijon (don’t be a sissy)
    i. Layer the other side in avocats and chilled/frozen sprouts
    C. Introduce the shaved turkey to the free range avocet and sprout side
    i. Fluff and douse coarse ground pepper
    D. Tuck in the happy turkey with baked prosciutto
    i. Top with sundried and Tigerella julienned tomate
    E. Cover all in hot herbed brie infusion (stop! Don’t eat now!)
    i. Layer on caramelized apples, but let balsamic reduction drain back into pan
    ii. Drape basil leaves liberally over the apple slices, and sprinkle field greens and strawberries on top
    iii. Reintroduce balsamic glaze to moisturize lettuce
    F. Compress, using two hands and safety goggles

//End sandwich alchemy bonding matrix

Construction notes:
    1. There are hot and cold elements here. If prepared right, they should be in a proper state when combined.
    2. This is really the only time your French roll should be allowed to become two pieces, in order to complete a proper grav-force grafting routine.

Eating note: Don’t be a slob! This can be cut into pieces to better manage malleability.

Reference notes:

* Unless you know, they have to be. But given the weight of the international organization, permanent record will always be foot noted and the results in constant debate, in perpetuity… And beyond.

** I’ve also done this all on a flat bread and baked it like the best damned interchangeable ingredient pizza thing Italy-American never created. And there are pix to prove that.

August 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

• You are totally making this for me one day very soon.

August 21, 2012 at 6:29 pm

5. Rosie, I have to differ with you on the Veggie Bacon question. I do remember how much I loved bacon before I became a carrot killer, but a ripe tomato off the vine, four slices of Morningstar Farms strips, and a generous amount of mayonnaise between a couple pieces of Dave’s Killer Bread doesn’t have to apologize to anyone for not cutting a pig’s throat. I’m just sayin.’ That is NOT my recipe, however. I’m still thinkin’ about my recipe….

August 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

6. I have a lot of strange food allergies, so I probably can’t be a judge…but I certainly look forward to seeing the contest unfold!

August 20, 2012 at 9:53 pm

• Food allergies suck!

I don’t know if anyone else is going to step forward, but we do have one fantastic judge. Can’t wait to introduce him. :)

August 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

• Cool! I’d be sad if you didn’t have anybody step forward to judge. :(

August 21, 2012 at 12:16 am

7. One of my favorite’s Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat bread. Grilled. Grilling it completely changes the PB&J. Yummy.

August 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

• That sounds pretty yummy! Almost as good as grilled peanut butter and cheese. Love that one!

August 20, 2012 at 8:24 pm

• Grilled PBJ sounds lovely! Got milk? :D

August 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm

8. My submission is simple, the BLT. I have already declared it the Sandwich of Summer on my blog. :) http://wp.me/p2o6Lp-9t

August 20, 2012 at 4:38 pm

• Oh, I do miss a good BLT. It’s just not the same with veggie bacon.

August 20, 2012 at 5:45 pm

9. The Big Nasty Sammich, (or, what can you make with your football party leftovers:
    Two Big oval shaped slices of pumpernickel bread.
    Slather one piece with egg salad (or just leftover deviled egg filling)
    Smear the other piece with Spinach dip
    Fill the middle with generous portions of sliced, smoked turkey breast and provolone cheese. Lettuce, tomato and sliced onion optional.

I love this sammich, which like many others, was born by accident. If I had a deli or cafe, this would be one of my signature items. This definitely falls in the “decadent category”. So, what’s my prize?

August 20, 2012 at 1:43 pm

10. Its a sandwich eating contest. Too many rules miss the point. The sandwich in the pic is in edible and becomes a giant of, everything. Anyone that’s eaten at “that famous New York deli” that’s puts like a pound of roast beef between flimsy bread knows, too much is not a good thing.

So I proposed the ??? Category simply be how easy was it to consume. Elegant, simple, or grotesque this cuts to it, simply. I will not be limited in the ingredients that gaurentee some of the most elegant combination of tastes ever put between wheat.

Perhaps a decent double or nothing can be Herba Vs. Carna recipes so the panel of judges can be wholly satisfied.

Also the timetable for making/eating sounds limiting. Some ingredients may be seasonal!

August 20, 2012 at 2:18 am

• Dear Nameless: It’s a sammich *recipe* contest! And this is National Sammich Month, so this is when it’s happening. If someone’s recipe contains a seasonal ingredient that cannot be obtained by our judges, well, we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Love,
      Your Sister #1

August 20, 2012 at 2:36 am

11. chatalee

And I’m especially interested in the contest between you and your brother. My contribution will be my famous “cheese bread”, it’s like half of a grilled cheese sandwich sort of. Take bread that’s about to go stale and must be finished combined with thin slices of an excellent cheddar cheese carefully placed upon the bread, not to heavy anywhere. Don’t be afraid to go beyond the margins of the bread with your cheese cause the cheese that drips down and around the bread makes an excellent crunchy cheese snack, some think this is the best part. Add a glass of red wine and you’ve got to be really living it up with “bread, cheese and wine”!!! The staff of life. This is totally my favorite sammich food/save me from starving to death food, and at my skill level when I’m just that hungry. Also in keeping with the keep it simple theory of life. PS I definately prefer the grainiest, brownest, healthiest, nuttiest bread I can find and for some reason prefer to buy the whole unsliced and slice myself and I’ve found that this trick of adding cheese on top and baking at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 min makes everything so good and crunchy that even people who don’t eat whole wheat grainy bread like this way a lot! Recapping: Slice bread and cheese. Place slices of bread on cookie sheet and cover with cheese slices. Place in oven for 15 to 30 minutes at 350, remove from oven, allow to slightly cool and eat. Share. Save for an emergency snack that’s easy to carry around and doesn’t take up much space. :)

August 20, 2012 at 12:06 am

• That sounds delicious! I love how cheese when cooked within a millimeter or so of its very life becomes very chewy and meat-like. As a vegetarian, I vote “yum.”

August 20, 2012 at 3:18 am

12. Seb

I think you should have a maximum number of ingredients category – a truly great sammich is often the most elegant.

August 19, 2012 at 7:27 pm

• So, a winner for most ingredients and fewest?

August 19, 2012 at 7:29 pm

• Seb

Well, maybe a max 5 ingredients category, a max 7 and an open section? Maybe a “Best in Show”. Bread and spread are included as ingredients.

August 19, 2012 at 7:32 pm

• Ok, good. I wasn’t sure I understood what you were suggesting. I like it.

August 19, 2012 at 7:34 pm