The Art of the Sammich

Tortured Sandwich Artist t-shirt

It’s a t-shirt!

Everything is a meme! I went looking for a “sandwich artist” image and the Google is filled with disgruntled Subway employees and jokes about job openings and the many ways to fail at being a Sandwich Artist (which is apparently what Subway employees are called when they’re in uniform). Well, sammich artist might be a crappy job, but it’s a job, and I’ll bet those artists get free sammiches. No shame in that.

In case you haven’t guessed yet, this is the Sammich Art post! Yay! When I first went out looking for National Sammich Month material, I was amazed and delighted by the number of sammich pics I found that can only be classified as art. There are SO MANY of them on sites like insanewiches.com and all over the web (click individual images for sources) so I chose a few of my favorites. Check it out.

Fire Sammich

Hot!

Aces sammich

Pair of aces with a parsley kicker!

Sandwitch!

Sandwitch!

Partridge Family Bus Sammich

Does this look like the Partridge Family’s bus to anyone else?

Lettermanwich!

Grinning Hat Man Sammich

The dill mustache makes it for me.

Scales Sammich

Hm…

Sammich Stadium

I had to include this one because wow.

Man sammich

Meet Art.

In case you missed it, I launched a Sammich Challenge yesterday and have recruited one sammich judge so far. If anyone wants to make sammich art for the contest and send it in, I’ll add a category and post the pics in a Very Special Make Me a Sammich Blog Post.

Anything is possible, people! Any! Thing!

1. Seb

That last one actually features on my desktop slideshow!

August 21, 2012 at 9:37 am

2. Oh I’m so glad I clicked on this post…. those sandwiches are amazing! I was thinking recipes…. not art forms…. glad I didnt send anything in; I would have been totally embarrassed!

August 21, 2012 at 2:16 am

• Oh, the Sammich Challenge is for recipes! Sorry if that was confusing. I just thought if anyone got inspired by this stuff and wanted to try it, we could add a category for sammich art. :)

August 21, 2012 at 4:51 am

3. What I love about Jimmy John’s besides sammiches? You walk up and say “I’d like a #6,” and they take your money and reach in and as they hand you your change, somebody yells “#6!” and it’s your sammich, and you haven’t even put your change away! That and the smiling employees and the cool humorous stuff on the walls.

August 20, 2012 at 10:34 pm

• And they deliver!

August 20, 2012 at 10:36 pm

• Yeah, it’s kinda like a little slice of heaven on 3rd Avenue.

August 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

4. My son works at Jimmy Johns. He loves it. He worked at one in our home town during his senior year of high school, and when he moved to a larger city, the first place he went looking for work was Jimmy Johns. He was hired on the spot and three months later, he was promoted to an assistant manager. I don’t know what JJ’s calls their crew, but from what I understand, this is a great place for aspiring sandwich artists to work. I love the pictures! Thanks!!

August 20, 2012 at 8:53 pm

• Way to move up!

JJ’s makes far superior sandwiches. They have a way cooler vibe and their employees always seem to be having a pretty good time for a sammich shop.

August 20, 2012 at 9:46 pm

5. I wonder how long it took someone to make that stadium… I’ve never run across something like that before!

August 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

• Isn’t it amazing? I saw it back around Super Bowl time. :)

August 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

6. I love it. They’re brilliant. I’ve never thought of making sandwiches so decorative and special. If I do get creative I will send you a picture. Don’t hold your breath though. I couldn’t be as great as the artists behind your selected sammiches. :)

August 20, 2012 at 7:56 pm

• Yeah, it seems so obvious to me now, but it never even occurred to me before to make art out of my sammiches. I may have to give it a try myself!

August 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm