How to Report an Asshole on Twitter

[TW: Rape, Assholery]

Douche is the word...

Douche is the word…

Today’s Asshole: Jose Canseco

Mr. Canseco, a Very Famous Athlete, is accused of rape. Today he decided the best possible course of action was to out his accuser on Twitter.

Via the Atlantic Wire:

Jose Canseco — former All-Star outfielder, admitted steroid user, part-time fantastic Twitter idiot — apparently just live-tweeted the police arriving at his Las Vegas home, then said he has been accused of rape, then proceeded to publicly name his apparent accuser to his more than 500,000 followers, with bikini photos, and the woman’s phone number, and talk shows, and cats… then proceeded to delete the whole thing. Except her name.

Canseco also tweeted the name and address of the woman’s gym and invited followers to stop by:

Image

So, using Jose’s illegal activities as a model for a) how to report assholes and b) how Twitter’s “report” function fails to provide adequate reporting options for illegal activities like this one, here are some instructions (click images for larger versions):

(UPDATE: JC has deleted most of offending tweets because his lawyers are smarter than he is, fortunately for him. But there’s still this one. Yes, that’s her. Report his ass.)

1. Point your browser to https://support.twitter.com/forms/abusiveuser.
      2. Click the option that best describes the situation. In this case, that’s “offensive content.” That doesn’t really cover it, but as you can see, it’s the only option that comes close:Image
      3. Type in the Twitter handle of the offending tweeter, in this case JoseCanseco:Image
      4. Next, you need to paste in URLs to the offending tweets (like this and this).(UPDATE: JC has deleted most of offending tweets because his lawyers are smarter than he is, fortunately for him. But there’s still this one. Yes, that’s her. Report his ass.)Image

Click “Report another Tweet” for another link box.
      5. Answer the miscellaneous questions, then fill in the details box. I suggest something along the lines of “Jose Canseco has published the name, photo, and gym of the woman who accused him of rape. This is illegal. Please suspend his account.”Image
      6. Now you’re ready to hit the Submit button and hope Twitter does the right thing.

It only takes a moment of your time, and if enough people do it, maybe they’ll get the message. Maybe Canseco will get the message that bullying his accuser is not only illegal, it is not only dangerous, but it is also socially unacceptable behavior with consequences. Because rape culture has taught him that this is the right way to handle a rape accusation, and as a VFE he, in turn, is teaching young people the same lesson.

1. Pingback: Beware of False Prophets and Fear Mongers – janetkwest

2. Thanks for the info. What an asshole. I hope they delete him. He should be prosecuted to releasing that info. That would be justice.

May 30, 2013 at 8:20 am

3. Reblogged this on Verdant Handshake and commented:
    Done and boosted.

May 26, 2013 at 9:36 pm

4. Chizzy

Reblogged this on All The Anomalous Bits and commented:
    Did my part and reported the ass. Now I can only hope more people do so, and he will see that bullying and victim-shaming isn’t cool. As for his followers though…A-class turds smh.

May 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm

5. I’m a sock puppet troll-kitten who stopped by to show you a video! You will love it because it features ME! :D <3

#Kittehfied #KittenSetting #LOVE

May 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm

6. Done. Submitted. Asshole.

May 23, 2013 at 9:07 am

7. Reblogged this on Glenn62’s Blog.

May 23, 2013 at 6:34 am

8. Julia Jasmine Sta Romana

Done. I read his tweets. He truly is an a-hole.

May 23, 2013 at 1:34 am

9. Britni

Reblogged this on Fiending for Hope.

May 22, 2013 at 5:16 pm

10. Notice that his first response wasn’t to deny the accusations or claim innocence, it was to live blog the police and send people after her. I don’t claim to know truth of the accusations*, but it’s clear that Canseco handled this in a pathetic and disgusting manner. No matter the facts of the case, I hope the courts get him on this.

*Though the statistics point in a sad direction.

May 22, 2013 at 5:12 pm

11. Done. Let’s keep victimizing our victims, Canseco, because that’s how we deal with things like this, right? Right. Shame ’em until they shut up, or someone shuts ’em up for us.

I’m not that easily silenced. And I have VERY little shame.

May 22, 2013 at 4:09 pm

12. done and done.

May 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

13. I’ve also reported it. What he’s done is beyond disgusting.

May 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm

14. Reblogged this on zeeblebum.

May 22, 2013 at 1:35 pm

15. Fucking asshole. I’m all over this.

May 22, 2013 at 1:15 pm

16. Sin City Siren

Reblogged this on The Sin City Siren and commented:
    Oh, another “famous” Las Vegan executes an epic FAIL.

May 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

17. Holly

Saddly as I found out, the rapiest has more rights then his victiams. After being rapeed I was told by a harker heights cop here in texas I needed to pa for my own victiams kits, and needed to do the foot work myself, then the dumb young cop went on to tell me how it sounded like a movie. Attention to all women, when a cop says this look into his past, as I found out the cop is related to the family, and als none as a lazy cop. Saddly many women are starting to take things in thier own hands and end up imprirsoned because the courts still stand on the side of the males. I felt like I was a women from one of those muslim country by the time the cops got done with me. I was waiting and still waiting for them to stone me. We as women need to take back our country and our court system so we dont end up sweating are ass off covered from head to toe and waiting for a man to escourt us to the store or the mall. We need to get police depertmaents and FT HOOD tounderstand that just because a women has a drink or gose outside the home to have fun, that it isnt ok tyo rape us. Ft HOOD, Harker Heights need t grab a hold of thier officers and tell them, that any women can be raped and it dont matter who they are these things need to be taken for real. even strippers , wives and escorts can be rape and the Manly boys club is no longer. That Women are just as equal. I hope they fry this man, even if its just to prove a point.

May 22, 2013 at 1:01 pm