Make Me a Sammich: The Comic #4 – Cubs at the Door

MMASCOMICheader

CubsAtTheDoor2

Yep, they’ve found me. Tiny MRA larvae. They’re not nearly as cute as baby slugs. ;)

1. Joe

Of course it’s most likely never going to happen. Treating each other as individuals with individual merits is a pipe dream. No matter how much I want it to happen…it will never happen.

The problem is confirmation bias. MRAs only read MRA blogs and feminists only read feminist blogs.
    Everybody’s talking but no-ones listening.

December 25, 2014 at 1:16 am

• But Joe, you’re doing the thing you want us not to do. I admit I don’t spend time reading MRA blogs because my experience is that MRA leaders like Paul Elam say vile things like this:

“And the answer is, of course, no, I am not going to stop. You see, I find you, as a feminist, to be a loathsome, vile piece of human garbage. I find you so pernicious and repugnant that the idea of fucking your shit up gives me an erection.”

Why on earth would I want to subject myself to that level of hate for everything I stand for?

December 25, 2014 at 10:06 am

• Joe

And that’s the biggest problem right there. MRAs actually have some good points to make but even their few good points are overshadowed by their hatred. They are so adamant about turning women into scapegoats for every issue that men face that they have turned themselves into a joke. That’s very unfortunate because rather than actually working on the issues that men and women face, they waste so much time and energy on slandering women.

December 25, 2014 at 6:36 pm

2. Joe

Honestly, sometimes I wonder what the fuss is all about.
    You would think that a concept like equality would be easy but it’s not.

The biggest problem is that everyone’s talking…but no-ones listening.

MRA’s constantly talk about female privilege but ignore the privileges of being male (Especially white males)

Feminists talk about male privilege but ignore thier own privilege. (Especially white women)

However, not everyone falls into the neat little boxes of privilege. In my humble opinion, we are nothing but individuals with individual wants and needs. Wouldn’t it be better to focus on how we interact with one another as individuals instead of the narrow gender roles we are assigned?

December 25, 2014 at 1:05 am

• The greater portion of MRAs spend most of their time tearing down feminists, while the greater portion of feminists spend most of their time working on and talking about the issues that stand in the way of equality. Privilege is never neat, but we all exist somewhere on the scale, and being aware of it is important but also difficult. The main thing is to understand when you’re screwing up, own it, and do better. Also, feminists spend a lot of time talking about the harm that traditional gender roles can do. When I talk about MRAs I’m talking about a group consisting primarily of men (in this case very young men or even boys, but note that I did include one girl as there are women among them) who aren’t working on anything at all but trolling feminists. These kids are basically some flavor of chan kids (4chan/8chan) who got stirred up by MRAs in the recent GamerGate shitstorm and now spamming feminists like me with obvious trolling bullshit. Yes, there are people who call themselves feminists who behave in ways that I would not. But my movement is not based on tearing down theirs, and I can’t say the same for MRAs.

December 25, 2014 at 10:03 am

3. Joe

I agree that MRAs are kinda silly but the cartoon is a bit over the top.
    Even a broken clock can be right two times a day and I think the MRAs, though usually wrong, bring up some good points. Namely the fact that women still aren’t required to register for selective service.

December 24, 2014 at 11:29 pm

• This cartoon is based on my personal experience with MRAs. Over the top? It doesn’t even scratch the surface.

December 24, 2014 at 11:32 pm

• Joe

Well I agree that I’ve also had some awful conversations with MRAs. They can be very overbearing and not pleasant to talk to.

However, I’ve also found that extreme feminists can be overbearing and not pleasant to talk to. Especially those who are TERFs, but I suppose every movement has those individuals who make everyone else look bad.

December 24, 2014 at 11:41 pm

• What is the point of bringing up that other people can be jerks, too? I don’t get it. I’m not here to provide a balanced story. I made a comic about my experience and you’re kind of derailing, Joe.

December 25, 2014 at 9:55 am